Warm, melty goat cheese crusted with pecans and cooked in salted butter is the best salad topping in the entire world. If you are new to the phenomenon of pecan crusted goat cheese you must try it today.
Once I was out of college I began exploring new foods. New and exciting varieties of cheese were one of my top picks. I don't remember where I was when I first tried goat cheese but I loved the vibrant flavor and salty tang from my first bite.
The first time I had warm goat cheese on top of a salad was at Carrabba's, a chain Italian restaurant. Their Insalata Fiorucci had a hazelnut goat cheese medallion, artichokes, roasted peppers, and grill eggplant. It was my go-to anytime we went there.
I've been wanting to create my own version of those amazing goat cheese medallions for years and years. I am so glad I finally did! I decided to serve them with a simple spinach salad featuring red onions and strawberries with a balsamic dressing. But you can definitely serve this with any toppings of your choice.
What You Need
You only need 4 ingredients! Yup, that's it.
- Goat Cheese - you want a nice big log of goat cheese for this recipe. I used a 10 oz goat cheese log from Costco.
- Egg Whites - I had a carton of egg whites so I just used that but you can beat a whole egg instead if you want.
- Pecans - raw, unsalted pecans work the best for this. I chop them in my food processor to save on time.
- Salted Butter - using salted butter gives the most flavor to the goat cheese medallions.
How to Make Pecan Crusted Goat Cheese
You can make this easy goat cheese recipe in about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Step One: Slice the goat cheese into ¾ inch thick slices. You should get between 6 and 8 slices.
Step Two: Coat a slice of cheese in the egg and then coat with the nuts. Press the nuts lightly into the goat cheese on all sides.
Step Three: Melt the salted butter over medium heat. Add the nut crusted goat cheese to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until the nut crust is golden brown.
Step Four: Serve the goat cheese slices warm on top of the salad of your choice.
How to Serve Nut Crusted Goat Cheese
- Spinach Goat Cheese Salad - my favorite spinach salad is one with a balsamic vinaigrette, fresh berries, red onions, cheese, and nuts.
- Crackers - serve with your favorite crackers as an appetizer. Add on a glass of Lavender Lemonade Cocktail for a great happy hour.
- Apples - for another great app idea serve these creamy goat cheese rounds on top of thin-sliced apple drizzled with a little honey. Or top with crispy apple chips!
- Chicken - oh yes, just top a simple grilled or smoked chicken breast with one of these for an amazing dinner.
- Smoked Duck Breast or Traeger Duck - serve these medallions on spinach salad along with duck to really wow your family.
- Steak - this pairs perfectly with Traeger Steak or Traeger Tri Tip!
Can I Bake Goat Cheese?
Yes, if you prefer to bake these you can. Brush them with melted salted butter and bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes at 350. Watch the baked goat cheese medallions closely so the nut crust does not burn.
- 10 oz goat cheese sliced
- ¼ cup egg whites or beaten egg
- ¾ cup pecans finely chopped
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- Coat each slice of goat cheese in the egg and then the pecans.
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cook the slices of nut crusted goat cheese in the melted butter for 3-4 minuts on each side. You want the nuts to brown and the cheese to be warm throughout.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe is so delicious! Will definitely make it again! Thank you!
Looks absolutely amazing. Great job coming up with this!
I love this! So perfect for an easy vegetarian meal!
This looks sooo amazing! I can't wait to make some tonight.