Meat and Potatoes! If this is your mantra, here is an easy recipe to make Foil Packet Potatoes on the Grill. Potatoes are a great side dish to any grilled entree. Let's make your cooking time a little easier by creating an easy way for roasted potatoes on the grill.
You can use any potato, I used peeled white potatoes along with my Garlic Herb Butter. There are several ways to grill potatoes, the biggest challenge is to ensure the proper doneness. The size of the potatoes is the biggest factor in making sure they get cooked properly. I recommend par-cooking the potatoes to assist in the cooking process.
In this Foil Packet Potatoes on the Grill recipe, I peeled and halved small white potatoes. I put them in the microwave covered them with a paper towel and cooked them on high for one minute. I then placed them on a sheet of foil with about 1 tablespoon of my Garlic Herb Butter as well as a couple of grinds of fresh pepper and a dash of salt. Be sure to season the potatoes well so they can absorb all that great flavor as they cook. Fold up the foil to ensure no moisture escapes by carefully creasing each side and double folding the edges.
Cook these potatoes as you preheat your grill
I recommend putting these on the grill when you start to preheat this way they can be finished when the rest of your meal is complete. After about 10 minutes, you grill is all set to cook your entree and the potatoes are almost done. At this point, I will open the foil to check the doneness of the potatoes. They should have a little color and feel soft.
Finish the Foil Packet Potatoes on the Grill
Once they feel almost done, I like to take the potatoes out of the foil and place them on directly on the grill. This will add a great finish and crunchy oast texture to the potatoes. Of course, this will only work depending on the size you cut the potatoes. If you would like this additional color and texture, be sure to cut your potatoes into larger pieces or they will fall through your grate. This only takes about 5 minutes on a hot grate, I will then place them back on the foil and for an easy transfer off the grill.
- 4 medium white potatoes peeled
- 1 tablespoon garlic herb butter
- Peel your potatoes and cut them in half.
- Par cook. I recommend covering them and microwaving on high for 1 minute
- Put the potatoes on a piece of foil and add the Garlic Herb Butter.
- Fold up the foil to seal the potatoes in a small pouch.
- Place over a hot grill and cook on high heat for 10 minutes.
- You can serve them now or take them out of the foil and cook directly on the grill for 2 more minutes to add a little more color and crunch.
- Serve hot with your favorite grilled meat.